Struggles with self-practice

by Christina on February 7, 2010

No community practice this morning (too much snow). Why is self-practice so hard? There is something powerful about having people practicing around me, or knowing a teacher is watching me.

This is something to think about when healthcare providers are encouraging patients to make lifestyle change and develop new health-habits. There is power and strength in community.
“There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability; there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community.” ~M. Scott Peck

Heart | Brain | Belly (Rebecca) February 7, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Christina…I was so glad to see your post. Not, of course, because you were struggling, but because we seem to be sharing the same question this morning. Self-practice…mine was especially difficult, too. And then to see your quote by Peck (I loved his book)…wonderful. See you tomorrow…

CJT February 7, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I too had a difficult self practice this morning. (Probably doesn't surprise since you read my post a couple of days ago.) In fact my "practice" this morning consisted of focusing really hard on not eating another piece of french toast. Anyway, I'm excited to get back tomorrow too.

Jill Manning February 8, 2010 at 4:38 am

Christina,

I have met many students this trip who, like me, have a "at home practice." It has been not a shock that (not just me) these indivuals have really strong practices, focused and intense.

Sometimes I read things differently…like your blog title I read it as ,"snuggles with self-practice."

Remember yoga is many things but mostly a mind set/mind shift…it can be that simple…snuggle replaces struggle.

Snuggle ON!

Love

Jill

Heart | Brain | Belly (Rebecca) February 8, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Jill, your post makes me smile in my heart.

Christina February 8, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Snuggle with practice, I like that. Thanks, Jill 🙂 You are right, it is definitely a mind set.

Rebecca, I love his book too! I think it's time to re-read it though… I haven't looked at it since high school!

Anonymous February 10, 2010 at 6:10 pm