Being an imperfectionist

by Christina on July 8, 2010

This is one of my favorite lines from the Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 3, verse 35) and it’s been on my mind lately:

“Better is one’s own law though imperfectly carried out than the law of another carried out perfectly.”

5 things I’m imperfectly carrying out right now:
  1. Career choice: Do I chase the conventional markers of success (high paying specialty) or pursue my interests and passions (which may be less prestigious)?
  2. Relationship timeline: Do I attempt to fit into the traditional timeline of dating, engagement, marriage, babies by mid-30’s (aaah!) or let go of that and follow the timeline that works for my life?
  3. Yoga practice: Do I stick to the strict ashtanga practice every or sometimes skip around, add, and experiment?
  4. Food: Do I follow a specific dietary set of rules (vegetarian, vegan, macrobiotic, raw, yogic, etc) or follow my own system that works for me (and which might be subject to change)?
  5. Meditation practice: Do I sit in lotus position for a specified amount of time or do I allow for different approaches (such as getting up and going for a mindful run)?
I think I like being an imperfectionist.

Rebecca July 8, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Christina…I am totally digging on your posts this week (I always do, but I especially like these ones 🙂

Ahu July 8, 2010 at 5:26 pm

yes, real good one from Gita… it all boils down to that, isn't it? it feels like you got good insight 🙂

Amanda July 8, 2010 at 7:39 pm

go with the flow. do what you want. you know what's best.

BP July 8, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Beautiful post. I am questionning myself on those very same topics.

Josh July 8, 2010 at 8:57 pm

“The way to find out about happiness is to keep your mind on those moments when you feel most happy, when you are really happy — not excited, not just thrilled, but deeply happy. This requires a little bit of self-analysis. What is it that makes you happy? Stay with it, no matter what people tell you. This is what is called following your bliss.”

Joseph Campbell

Adam July 8, 2010 at 10:20 pm

"a piece of corn is better than a nickel to a chicken"

Chris July 9, 2010 at 3:09 am

Wonderful blog post. I vote for designing your own life according to your own high standards. Nothing wrong with going for a run when you feel like it.