Hospitals are meant to be places of healing, but it seems that the food we serve our there may have the opposite effect. I have a feeling that we will look back in 50 years and be shocked at the things we’ve been feeding people.
- A 28% decrease in meat and poultry purchases (translated to save $400,000/year)
- Reduction in meat-related greenhouse gases by 1,648 tons/year
- Reduction in CO2 emissions equivalent to burning 102,454 gallons of gasoline or sequestering carbon by growing 23,354 tree seedlings over 10 years
Wow… how can hospitals not do this?! It would mean both healthier patients and a healthier planet.
- Buy & sell less meat
- Buy food from local, organic, sustainable food sources
- Participate in Meatless Mondays (also started by Johns Hopkins – go them!)
Even Einstein agrees…
“Nothing will benefit human health, and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth, as much as the evolution to a Vegetarian Diet” ~Albert Einstein