Match day, big changes, same breakfast

by Christina on March 20, 2011

I’m still recovering from the match day madness… and getting very excited for my move to San Francisco and for some big changes.

And the envelope says... I'm moving to SF!!!!!

Right now, I’m savoring this quiet Sunday morning made up of an unrushed yoga practice (very slow led primary) and my same old breakfast food:

One of the best things about living in San Francisco: avocados and oranges will actually be local food… my dream come true.

My breakfast requirements are pretty simple and unchanging — whole foods that naturally have lots of fiber, fat, and protein (this fills me up and gives me good energy for the day):

• 2 oranges (I ate a third before taking this picture – I love oranges)
  • 1 avocado (I really want to stuff this with something – tofu scramble?)
  • Plain yogurt (from local grass fed cows – best yogurt I’ve ever had) topped with walnuts and raisins
  • Coffee (of course)

Now I need to work on how to do breakfasts in the hospital next year (I want to do better than stuffing a Larabar in the coat pocket)…

Chris palmer March 20, 2011 at 6:22 pm

After an hour of exercise, I fill a big bowl with raisin bran or All Bran, soy milk, walnuts, organic raisins, an organic orange, an organic pear, organic blueberries, organic raspberries, and an organic kiwi. So far so good. The only negative thing I do is to sprinkle a little sugar on top, which I know is not good for me and just encourages inflammation, but I have a hard time breaking this bad habit. It was ingrained into me as a little boy growing up in England, where adding sugar to our cereal in the morning was a family routine we never questioned.

Christina March 20, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Pretty impressive, Dad 🙂

I’ve been moving away from cereals though… they always seem to have so many added things in them (like sugar/HFCS… even All Bran I think?!), so I’ve been trying to get my fiber through fruits and vegetables (anything that does not come packaged in a box!).

Lizzie March 20, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Wow, your dad has a lot of organic fruit!!

I like oatmeal (Quaker oats packaged oatmeal, but PLAIN, no added sugar or fruit involved). I also have been enjoying oranges lately! So good.

Christina March 20, 2011 at 10:06 pm

ah yes those quaker oat packages are great for being on the go – good idea!!!!!

arturo March 20, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Dear Christina
Are you doing the next portion of your medical career in SF? That is great. And for an ashtangi, a great place to live. I enjoyed my four years there. Do you know where you plan to practice? My teachers where mainly Catherine Shadix (Mind Body on California and 24th) and Vance Selover (Berkeley) but I also studied with others. AYSF is a great place too. You have so many choices of teachers there. The community is great.
Cheers
Arturo

Christina March 20, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Hi Arturo,

It’s great to hear from you, and yes, I will be doing my family medicine residency training in San Francisco!

I am VERY excited about the ashtanga there… I’m not sure where I’ll practice yet. When I was there in January I practiced in the mission and it was great, but I’m sure I’ll do a bunch of exploring of different places. Can’t wait!

Christina

Satkirin March 21, 2011 at 12:02 am

Congratulations!! We are SO going to practice in the middle of Golden Gate Park!
🙂
on a sunny day….when you’re not on call……
Yay!!

Christina March 21, 2011 at 12:08 am

Yayyy!!! CANNOT WAIT!

Emily March 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Hi there! As a new med student and new ashtangi, I have really enjoyed your blog over the last few weeks. Thanks for all your great posts, and CONGRATS on your match! It’s so nice to hear about thoughtful people going into family medicine with intention. I’m interested in primary care too, and I hope you’ll keep up the blog during residency! 🙂

namaste,
Emily

Christina March 22, 2011 at 12:02 am

Hey Emily!

It’s so nice to hear from you! Where are you in med school and where do you practice? I LOVE meeting new med school yogis – awesome!

Christina

arturo March 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm

i used to practice with several in the medical field at Catherine’s studio. and several more are practicing at AYSF now.