Food for the ride

by Christina on March 12, 2011

Hello from Boston! Just got up here to reunite with my Dartmouth girls… so much fun!

I love traveling but always struggle with what to eat when on the road (and I keep thinking about how this will be an even bigger issue when I start residency in a few months and my life is in the hospital).

Eating poorly can quickly depress my mood and energy level — exactly what I don’t want when traveling, reuniting with friends, or taking care of patients. So until healthy and energizing food is available in trains, planes, street corners, and hospitals, I have to figure out how to bring my food along for the ride.

Here was my food for the 6-hour train to Boston (I thought I went overboard but it turned out to be just the right amount to get me happily through the day and into Greta’s apartment for a delicious home-cooked meal):

• Lentil soup (half-eaten pre-made Trader Joes which I re-stuffed with extra carrots and celery)
  • Big baked sweet potato (baked a day before)
  • 2 apples
  • 2 avocados (only at 1… the other is still ripening in my bag)
  • Plantain chips (made a day before)
  • Granola
  • Larabars (a confession: I’m sort of obsessed with these. I brought 6 with me but limited myself to just one on the train)
  • Coffee (my travel essential… bought a big one at the station)

And of course, my super awesome bamboo-utensil pack 🙂

If you have a sec, please leave a comment on how you keep up your food routines when traveling and/or working a lot? Would love to hear what works for you…

Happy weekend everyone!

Chris palmer March 12, 2011 at 7:37 pm

What a great blog post! Yes, traveling and eating healthily is a challenge. I like to snack on a banana, sliced up apple, nuts (walnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, and almonds), plus dark chocolate. All organic if possible!

Christina March 12, 2011 at 8:05 pm

YUM!

Melissa March 14, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Great post, I tend to never think ahead and end up with a bag of pretzels, not good. This is a much better idea! Thanks!

Christina March 14, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Hey Melissa! I know, it usually seems so much easier to just buy whatever is available. Planning ahead can be hard… I’m just hoping it gets easier the more I do it!

Ali Marcus March 15, 2011 at 8:59 pm

As someone who spends quite a bit of time on the road, I recommend the grocery store! There are always some fruit and nuts and other bulk foods that are minimally processed and taste good, like chocolate! Also, I can sniff out a Whole Foods in any city in America – a useful skill! 🙂

Christina March 15, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Yes Ali, such a good point! Grabbing some whole foods at a grocery store is way better than ordering expensive food (that your body doesn’t want) from a restaurant! The key is finding a local grocery store (and the time to go).

Karen March 17, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Christina,
I love your posts! I like this one, because I see a lot of people tend to pack the same “healthy” snacks. Also, I just posted on our local parents list serve about how to get your kids to eat veggies. My answer was in smoothies…I hide spinach in Julian’s smoothies and he gobbles them up! You can make a healthy smoothie before work. It can have veggies like kale and spinach as well as some high fiber fruits like berries in it. I use almond milk as a base and I add flax meal and any other supplements I may be needing at the time.
I noticed many folks said they grab fruit and nuts. While these are healthy snacks, they are high in calories and fat and if you are eating dried fruit….sugar. Nuts and fruit are great for those who need those fats, but most people eat too much. A serving of raw almonds is really only about 19-23 almonds.
I chop veggies that stay in a lunch box. I keep a tupperware container full of this chopped veg mix in my fridge. You can add garbanzo beans or other beans and some kind of satisfying dressing. (if you are in the hospital, you can grab a dressing from the cafeteria and feel good about the veg you are eating from home.) These are portable foods. Many veggies are portable! Beans are a seriously great food. I keep them in small containers along with carrots and tomatoes for Julian. But of course he gets the fruit leathers once in a while 🙂

Christina March 26, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Hey Karen! Love hearing about your snack foods and smoothies, and you’re right that veggies are totally portable — for me it’s more a matter of finding the time and energy to chop and pack them.

So funny you add spinach in Julian’s smoothies… very sneaky (I would do the same thing!).

beverly March 24, 2011 at 3:42 am

trader joe’s has the best road trip food. I get un-christalized ginger, nuts, dried fruit or fruit leathers. a trail mix with figs, and mixed nuts. toasted nori… lots of tea.

Christina March 26, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Hey Beverly, I love love love Trader Joes and need to take advantage of their snack foods!!! Toasted nori??? I’ll have to try that!