Settling in

by Christina on June 6, 2011

I’m settling into my new home and am happy to say I found a fantastic apartment: a two-room studio with hardwood floors, a beautiful bay window perfect for early morning yoga practices, and a spacious kitchen where I hope to do lots of culinary exploration and experimentation.

After stocking up on some staples:

I made my first home-cooked meal: veggie burgers.

Veggie Burgers

Simple, fast, tasty, and easy to pack for lunch the next day.

I blended these ingredients in a blender:

• 1 cup cooked black beans (add bean juice as needed for blendability)
  • 1 medium onion
  • ½ cup uncooked rolled oats
  • Raw spinach
  • 1 egg
  • Any herbs, spices, or other veggies you want (I put purple basil, curry, and crushed red pepper)

Then made little patties and heated them in skillet (no oil even needed!).

Some of my next food-related steps include:

• Get Tupperware so I can bring my food to the hospital with me.
  • Start saving for a Vitamix.

This is my sister's Vitamix: she uses it ~3 times/day to make green smoothies, among other things.

What do you have in your kitchen that you could not do without? I need to stock mine up!

Maria June 6, 2011 at 9:57 pm

olive oil
nuts
red pepper flakes
lemons
apple cider vinegar
salt & pepper.
Cast Iron saute Pan (10 inch)
tongs & spatula
Ceramic knife (not cheap but get a small one -life changing)
colander
wooden spoon
mixing bowl(plays role of salad bowl , fruit ripening bowl & serving bowl)
maybe a rectangular pyrex(glass) pan for treats or casseroles
fresh fruit, grains, canned beans, oatmeal, fresh veggies
you’re good

Christina June 6, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I love this list – thank you!

Sara June 7, 2011 at 3:21 am

My love affair with my crockpot has been reignited. It is the best way I’ve found to cook dried beans. Throw them in in the morning with 3-4x the volume of water and a garlic clove and turn it on low. I have super long days (6:30-7ish) and they are never overdone and I never have to remember to soak them. The best for a busy person who needs a healthy and cheap dinner.

You need the CSA. If it weren’t for my CSA I would likely go hungry. They keep me stocked with produce, bread, cheese, and eggs.

Christina June 7, 2011 at 3:41 am

Ahh, Sara that’s a great idea – I’m going to look for a crockpot!

Chris Palmer June 8, 2011 at 4:47 am

Organic freshly squeezed OJ
Cans of black beans
Organic blueberries

Adhana June 11, 2011 at 1:42 am

Ginger & Garlic (go well with everything!)
Yerba Mate (alternative to my caffeine fixation)
Flowers from my garden
Cumin/Corriander/Garam Masala/Curry/Cardamom and seasame oil (this is the base for most of my bean/lentil dishes)
Greens (collards, cabbage, spinach, broccoli leaves, swiss chard…whatever I can add quickly to my beans)
Fun magnets from papayaart.com (a total compulsion that keeps me sane)
A Keurig for when I can’t resist my coffee fix
Mixing bowls
1 baking sheet (great for sweet potatoes)
1 wok (for quick stir frys)
dry couscous (cooks in 5 minutes –nuff said)
a good knife and cutting board
Rösle Multi Chopper- does onions, garlic, etc all at once in less than 2 minutes
Welcome to the Bay. I miss my old stomping grounds 😉

Christina June 11, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Adhana, wow, this is an excellent list!!!! I love it.

I love that you said magnets – I’ve been obsessed with getting magnets for my fridge since moving here so I can have pictures and lists and maps hanging up there!

Kimberly Palmer June 14, 2011 at 2:25 am

Also when you get tupperware, be sure to get BPA-free kind! And try to avoid heating it in the microwave. (maybe have a non-plastic plate stored at work you can use if you need the microwave)

Christina June 14, 2011 at 4:43 am

yes good point! I ended up getting the glassware type – I love it.