8 Questions

by Christina on August 28, 2011

I recently spent some time in an integrative medicine clinic here. My mentor/advisor told me the 8 areas he always makes sure to touch on when talking with his patients:

1. Sleep
  2. Exercise
  3. Diet
  4. Bathroom habits
  5. Stresses
  6. De-stresses
  7. Social support
  8. Connection to something bigger

That seems pretty comprehensive to me, and are questions I’m working on bringing into my regular patient visits (and also areas I’m trying to address in my own life).

Are there any other things you’d want your primary care doctor asking you about?

Chris Palmer August 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm

This is linkedto #8, but does your life have meaning and purpose?

Christina September 4, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Yes, great! I’ll include that in #8 – I think that’s a better way of asking the question.

Satkirin August 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm

If I was ‘in charge’, I’d do away with vital signs.
What would happen to health care if every patient learned/practiced long deep breathing in clinic, and in the time they would have gotten vital signs taken?

I’ll bet their vital signs would change, and maybe some of the answers….
🙂

Christina September 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Hi Satkirin!
Deep breathing exercises are great idea for patients while they’re waiting in the waiting room (especially cause ours end up waiting for a LONG time which probably raises their BP).

Khalida September 3, 2011 at 4:28 am

I don’t actually have a question but I just wanted to say that I’ve been reading quite ab it of medical student blogs lately, and yours is the most refreshing, inspiring once I’ve come across. I can appreciate that med. school is no walk in the park but a lot of the blogs just seem to be complaining endlessly about the profession. And as someone who wants to join it in the near future (fingers crossed!), it can be a bit off-putting. Reality checks are important but it’s refreshing to read someone talk about their work with pride, and actually motivate others to do more as well.

Kudos to you for your drive and enthusiasm.

warm regards and continued best wishes.

Christina September 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Hi Khalida, Thank you for your nice note! I love hearing from you and I am anxious to hear where you end up for medical school… keep me posted!

Christina