Time & fiber

by Christina on February 6, 2012

I love being on geriatrics for 2 main reasons: 1) it’s a fascinating area that I want to be better at, 2) I have regular hours. It’s amazing what some time (and fiber) can do… here are some recent happiness highlights:

• Joined a gym! It’s right by the hospital and has climbing, yoga, & treadmills
  • Dined out at SF favorites: Gracias Madre and Cafe Gratitude

Love this menu

CG kale salad

• Ate more kale:

with fried plantains

• Did some Ray Kurzweil reading:

• Baked extra-fibrous banana bread (my inpatient diet had been lacking in fiber so I made up for it here):

Ingredients: oats, flour (almond and coconut), 3 ripe bananas, ground flaxseeds (lots), milk/milk substitute (I used soy), 2 eggs, vanilla, honey

Baked at ~300 degres for 45-ish minutes, ate warm and smeared with butter

• And finally… spent an amazing weekend in Tahoe:

Goal for the coming week: do more yoga.

Jimmy Tam February 6, 2012 at 8:56 am

Hey Christina,

Good to see you’re getting to enjoy some free time. Gracias Madre is so good! Did you become a member at Planet Granite?! I find an easy way to get fiber is putting lots of flaxseed into my blueberry/strawberry banana smoothies. I also add in a bunch of finely chopped raw kale with some coconut milk – blends together so well w/out any bitter aftertaste.

-Jimmy

Christina February 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Hey Jimmy!
Great to hear from you and no, I still haven’t been to Planet Granite!! I found a sort of similar gym near my hospital though (still hoping to make it over to PG though!) Ooh I love your smoothie idea, that sounds so good!

Chris Palmer February 6, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I loved reading this post! You become what you focus on, so you’re on track to be fulfilled and happy in your life. I can only imagine the joy and comfort you bring to your geriatric patients.

Christina February 9, 2012 at 1:00 am

thanks, dad 🙂

elise February 7, 2012 at 6:26 pm

i heard they were closing? is cafe gratitude still open?

Christina February 8, 2012 at 5:23 am

I heard that too but neither are closed yet (and when we asked at GM they said they aren’t closing anymore)… so I don’t know!

steve February 9, 2012 at 12:36 am

Yes to regular hours! ER resident in NYC on my beautiful tox month–its like waking up, rubbing my eyes, squinting and remembering there is a world again–with plenty of time for yoga. I enjoy you blog as always

Christina February 9, 2012 at 1:00 am

Hey Steve! Great to hear from you again — so glad to hear you have a bit of a break too — how amazing is it?!?!

steve February 9, 2012 at 1:27 am

its amazing! batting around some ideas for a study comparing conventional vs. breathing techniques in perception of pain–whenever I am doing something painful to someone, I take them through a little visualization and breathing. Trying to think of realistic study designs. what do you think? any ideas?

Christina February 9, 2012 at 1:41 am

Ooh that is fun to think about.

Maybe pick on painful procedure (like suturing?) and randomize patients to getting the mindfulness/breathing intervention or standard of care. Have pts fill out a pain questionnaire before the procedure and then again after (where they think back and describe their pain level during the procedure). Then compare the difference in pain perception (and change in pain levels before and after procedure) between those 2 groups?

I’ll have to think about it more — let me know what you’ve been thinking about and I can brainstorm!

steve February 9, 2012 at 1:50 am

cool. Do you have your email contact? Maybe we can have a cross country collaboration!