Day off catch up

by Christina on March 2, 2012

It is a beautifully sunny day in SF… slept in and am catching up on some reading:

(that calls for some philz french press coffee)

Here’s some food for thought:

“It’s not something that we like to talk about, but doctors die, too. What’s unusual about them is not how much treatment they get compared with most Americans, but how little.”

For years now, people have been encouraged to look to medical care as the way to make them healthy. But that’s your job — you can’t contract that out. Doctors might be able to help, but so might an author of a good cookbook, a personal trainer, a cleric or a good friend. We would all be better off if the medical system got a little closer to its original mission of helping sick patients, and let the healthy be.

We tend to give Tylenol reflexively to treat a fever, but this made me wonder:

Chris Palmer March 3, 2012 at 3:57 am

Wonderful blog post! I was particularly struck by the wisdom and insight contained in the essay by Dr. Ken Murray. His stories about Charlie and Torch were incredibly inspiring. How fascinating that the way CPR is portrayed on TV is glaringly out of sync with reality: 67% of TV patients go home, whereas in real life the figure is under 8%. After reading this article, I am more determined than ever to die at home without being assaulted by ghastly medical heroics.

steve March 3, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Chris, I agree! As an ER doctor, it is sobering, and a little depressing to realize most of the time people would be much better off if they didn’t come to the hospital at all!

Chris Palmer March 4, 2012 at 5:54 am

Steve, I’m fascinated to hear you say that! Your sentence contains so much wisdom. I’m very impressed that you would write that and write it so lucidly and compellingly. I urge you to submit an article on this theme for the New York Times Science section, which is published every Tuesday.

Steve March 5, 2012 at 6:13 am

I dont know about wisdom, cynicism maybe!

steve March 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Hey Chris,—How would I go about that , by the way? drop me a line if you have any ideas skraunz@gmail.com

elise March 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm

GREAT POST! i have told kyle time and again that i have no interest in being in the hospital. morphine at home, yes please.