I started buying the Sunday New York Times to read throughout the week, and am loving the ritual of reading a real paper in the mornings.
Today I came across this excellent article by Mark Bittman:
It reminded me of some important things:
- The Department of Agriculture currently recommends 3 cups of milk daily – that’s 1.5 pounds of milk a day!
- 50 million people are lactose intolerant, including 90% of Asian-Americans, and 75% of African-Americans
- Milk contants a lot of sugar:
“Sugar — in the form of lactose — contributes about 55 percent of skim milk’s calories, giving it ounce for ounce the same calorie load as soda” ~ Dr. Neal Barnard, president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)
- Milk and other dairy products are linked to both Type 1 diabetes and prostate cancer
- Keys to bone-strength are exercise and vitamin D, and milk drinking countries actually have highest rates of bone fractures
“The federal government not only supports the milk industry by spending more money on dairy than any other item in the school lunch program, but by contributing free propaganda as well as subsidies amounting to well over $4 billion in the last 10 years.” ~Mark Bittman