Happiness-setting

by Christina on August 26, 2012

This has been great call-day/Sunday blues reading:

My dad recommended it to me a while ago and I only got around to reading it today in the lonely call room awaiting babies to be born.  Dr. Weil writes about our happiness “set point” and how to go about resetting it. Here were a few ideas I wrote down for myself to start asap:

1) Eat protein for breakfast – do *not* eat any high glycemic load carbs. That means no cereal, waffles, pancakes, muffins, toast, juice, etc… anything that will spike your blood sugar will effect your mood a few hours later.

2) Take omega-3 fatty acid supplements. Modern humans are terribly deficient (“the most serious dietary deficiency in our population) and our brains need it (our brains are 60% fat). Take 2-4 grams/day of fish oil (which has both EPA and DHA). Omega-3 is also in some vegetarian sources (walnuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax) but these sources unfortunately don’t contain both EPA and DHA. (Hopefully soon there will be a EPA and DHA algae-derived supplement — if anyone knows of this in existence please let me know).

3) Take Vitamin D 2000 IU every day. He writes that this is “the second most common and serious nutritional deficiency in our population.” We are rarely in the sun and have vitamin D receptors all over our body, with many in our brain that effect neurotransmitters and mood.

4) Move more — more running and biking and exercising everywhere. He shared this Plato quote that I love:

“In order for man to succeed in life, god provided him with two means, education and physical activity. Not separately, one for the soul and the other for the body, but for the two together. With these two means, men can attain perfection.”

Jenny Palmer August 27, 2012 at 3:57 am

Here’s vegetarian EPA/DHA!!!

Christina August 27, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I wish it wasn’t so expensive!

Christina August 27, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Oh excellent!!!! Thanks, Jen! I just emailed Dr. Weil about his thoughts on that one!

John August 28, 2012 at 3:27 pm

would like to ad this book in the mix of nutritional considerations:
expensive but some libraries carry it. i find ketogenesis fascinating as a parallel fuel system, and experientially when doing a long sweaty 2 hour yoga practice this fat based diet seems to provide a stronger base of enduring (not necessarily strength) kind of energy… seems like plato understood a kind of yoga too! Best!!

Christina August 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm

thanks, John! I’ll have to find it! Do you follow this diet?

John August 30, 2012 at 9:34 am

have been testing it for the past 8 weeks. a very low/no carbs except greens and berries, a block of sheep cheese for breakfast, almond butter on flax crackers, avocado mid day. the atkins diet was keto. not sure of the long term effects but i feel a great support in my practice and that’s my metric for now … i believe the general idea is that low carbs, high fat makes our body release the fat burning enzymes which then burn our stored fat too, and it also feels better on my spine and joints, a bit more chilled out too. yoga seemd to bring us to self research and i love your blog because nutrition and yoga is a significant part of creating a personal healing enviornment for our bodies, and it seems to get more so progressing through the series … thank you!