We recently had a seminar on “life after residency.” We were asked what we ultimately want in our job and career.
In the midst of residency demands, what I crave most right now is freedom and autonomy — to make my own schedule, to have a routine, to sleep each night in my bed, to have time for a yoga practice and involvement in a yoga community.
One of our exercises was to write down the 10 things we would want in our “Dream Job” if we could design it ourselves.
Here was my five-minute stream of consciousness list:
- Clinic time: ~2 days per week working with underserved population
- Research time: researching and writing on obesity, nutrition, community interventions
- Academic environment where people are learning, writing, reading, and questioning our current practices
- Inspirational and motivational colleagues
- Travel: both domestic and international conferences/projects/research
- Routine and (relatively) predictable schedule
- Income, loan pay-off, and retirement savings
- Piloting of new technology
- Office that is my own: uncluttered, big desk, bookshelf with important books, plant, window
- Office environment that encourages creative and innovative projects
What’s on your list?