“Residency got you,” a friend wrote to me over email, reflecting on the recent silence on my blog.
Ahh, it’s true! Residency has got me.
I’m feeling hopeful though: 1) I just got my schedule for the coming year and it’s looking pretty great compared to the past two years, and 2) I have vacation coming up and am heading back to Costa Rica for friend-family-rest-reading-beach-yoga-surf time… Costa Rica has a way of restoring me and I am way overdue for a visit.
I’ve been working a lot of night shifts lately, but they’re getting easier. Maybe part of it is that I feel slightly more competent — making it all much more fun and rewarding, even if I am bleary eyed in the middle of the night.
It’s really hard not to lose oneself in residency, but here a few things making me feel maybe like it hasn’t completely got me yet:
- Midnight yoga in the call room. Our call rooms are pretty sparse but work surprisingly well for a makeshift yoga space.
- Things I’m reading when not at work:
- My herbs. They’re still alive!
- Running. Waking up from my post-night slumber and running in the warm afternoon sun, starting to build up to the SF half marathon which I’m thinking of actually running this year.
- Pulling out my massive whiteboard to brainstorm what the future might hold.
- Post-call dreamy days watching Downton Abbey.
- Bonfire on the beach. Something I’ve wanted to do ever since moving here and it finally happened (windy and cold but so fun).